Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Off to a Great Start

On Saturday morning, I got up and the first thing I did was check my email. Imagine my surprise and delight at opening up an email from the folks at DemonMinds saying that they have accepted my flash fiction piece, A Visit From Santa. Feel free to check it out at http://www.demonminds.com/ .

Now, it's one thing to have a story accepted for publication, but another one entirely to have one published that just happens to be one of your personal favourites. They are also considering the story as a feature so fingers crossed for that. It's a hell of a way to start the new year, one where my goals are much more ambitious than 2006. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. To be published in Shadowed Realms

2. To be published in Brimstone Press' Black Box

3. To win a competition

4. To be published in Cemetery Dance (a long shot)

5. To win or be nominated for an Aurealis Award

6. To see my first novella in print

7. To become a better writer

8. To write thirty new stories

9. To start work on a novel

10. To be featured in FlashSpec Volume 2

So, there they are. I've aimed pretty high this year but I think you have to up the bar to grow as a writer, to focus on your goals and actually achieve them.

What I'm reading: Brett McBean's The Last Motel

2 comments:

Brian G Ross said...

Congratulations on the acceptance, Chris. I was in DemonMinds last year - it's a cool site.

You have some fairly lofty resolutions there, my friend, but I guess you have to aim high. Good luck with them all, especially the Cemetery Dance publication. That would be an absolute gem if you pulled that off.

Marty Young said...

Yes, top stuff, Chris! Congratulations - that's exactly how you wanna start off the year.

(Good little yarn, too. It's bound to frighten kiddies off Christmas! Or at least ensure they are well behaved and stay in bed 'til dawn...)