Saturday, January 06, 2007

'Decapitated' is Released!

Yesterday morning, my micro story, Decapitated got emailed out to countless subscribers and I was delighted. In case you missed it, here it is...

DECAPITATED
Copyright Christopher Elston 2006

I am unable to escape the wrath of the storm. I turn in time to see the metal projectile hurtle toward me -- large, square and sharp. When it hits me, I feel nothing.

The side of my head rests against the ground. I gaze up at the turbulent sky, oblivious to pain as I watch my headless body sway in tune with the wind, waltzing with the elements until, finally, it topples to the ground. I stare helplessly at the oozing stump where my head used to be attached.

Everything goes dark as I plunge into eternal darkness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted the story got published. But when I read it after writing it six months ago, I thought to myself - I'm not as impressed with it now. Could this be because I'm improving and growing as a writer? The mind boggles...

2 comments:

Brian G Ross said...

Yup, you're growin'...

The alarm bells would be ringin' if you were as impressed now as you were then. Everythin' moves on. What was excellent yesterday is merely very good today.

Tomorrow...

:o)

Mark Smith-Briggs said...

Don't feel bad, I had a similar thing happen with the hansel and gretel story I wrote early last year. I read it and thought, shit... my new stories are much more compitent than that!

By reading a few of your newies I can tell you've grown in leaps and bounds.