Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Devil's Number Update

Recently, I took a break once I completed my first draft of The Devil's Number. During that time I've been enjoying writing short stories again and have had a ball writing and re-working my latest one, The Chocoholic. It's nearly ready - all I have to do is re-write the ending to make it resonate with a prospective editor and apply a little polish. I plan on sending it out in February when reading periods open up again.

Over the last week or so, I've commenced work on the second draft of the novella and I've already cut two scenes from it. My prologue originally had three different situations that relate to the main content of the novella's plotline. After coming back to it I thought, it's way too much information for the reader before the main story begins so two scenes were cut, leaving behind the one that is the most interesting. This scene, I'm expanding with a bit more detail, just meaty enough without too much length to draw the reader in.

So the first half of 2007 will see much of my time taken up with the second and third drafts with a target completion date of 30th June.

1 comment:

Cav said...

"all I have to do is re-write the ending to make it resonate with a prospective editor..."

Clever. Mental note: to make a sale you don't try to impress a reader. You try to impress an editor.