Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What the hell have I been up to?

Well, I've got some good answers to that question since it's been a while between posts. So, allow me to dust away some cobwebs and tell you what I've been doing.

Firstly, I've got two submissions out there that are being considered as I type. The first is my main project for this year, my novella - The Devil's Number. I should here something very shortly whether or not the editor wants to see the manuscript in its entirety. The second is my submission to Brimstone Press' Black Box e-anthology, a very trim 120 word piece that would highight my year - it would mean I'd be showcased in a collection among the best dark fiction writers in the country.

In other news, while occupying myself with being the best parent I can to my beautiful baby boy, and working my full-time job, I've managed to complete a first draft of a short story for possible inclusion in Dead Letter Press' premium anthology, 'Bound for Evil.' If accepted I would be showcased in a very high quality volume of short stories along with the legendary H.P. Lovecraft. This is a project I've held pretty close to my chest but now I'm comfortable enough to at least reveal the working title - 'Treasured Pages.' The deadline for this submission is the end of September so there's not much time for the inevitable re-writes and polishing (after my seven days away from the manuscript, of course - talk about discipline!)

It really does feel good to be writing again. There was a period of quite a few weeks where I refused to sit in front of the keyboard and create something. Maybe it was a confdence problem - I don't know. But while I was writing the first draft to Treasured Pages there were a couple of occasions where I zoned out while typing away, a phenomenon that never ceases to amaze me, to produce two thousand words barely remebering them coming from my head and down through my fingers. It's a real buzz.

The next time you hear from me I'll hopefully be finished the second draft of TP! Cross your fingers for me for the two submissions I mentioned earlier.

Till next time.

What I'm reading: Heart-shaped Box By Joe Hill

1 comment:

Brian G Ross said...

Good to see you back on the wagon, Chris. Hope you have good luck with those pieces. If so, I'll see you in Black Box next year!

;o)