Wednesday, June 27, 2007

An Old Friend


I was at the local Bendigo Showgrounds market the other week and was browsing the book stands (I couldn't help myself) and came across an ancient copy of The Shining - a pretty rare movie tie-in edition - so I snatched it up for the princely sum of $3. You're probably asking why I did this when I could by it brand new for $20. Well, here's my answer.

All I wanted was an old copy I could read without worrying about damaging it. I missed the book - I actually sold one of my copies years ago (for shame) but that's another story. The Shining happens to be my most favourite book of all time. During my life I've read it three times before delving into it's pages again right now. I don't think I could ever get sick of it. You fall in love with the characters so much so that when you read the book again it's like visiting old friends.

I've never felt this way about any other book (although I do have soft spots for Christine, Needful Things and Pet Semetary). The story is so compelling that I will probably read it again several more times throughout my life.

This was just something personal that I wanted to share with you.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Brian G Ross said...

I read it once many years ago, but it is definitely one of the master's better efforts. I like paperbacks for that reason as well.